Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cards that actually look like cards

Over the past couple of weeks I will say that my card purchase habits have changed a little.  I've shied away from the myriad of sets that I'm trying to complete, and have only purchased cards at the local Wal-Mart (or the Altoona Wal-Mart in the case of the Gypsy Queen post the other day).  The only other purchase outside of those was a card draft over at JABOs which was run really well by Kyle (thank you sir).  I will post my loot from there once it arrives.

Before the past two weeks, I won an eBay auction for a nice lot of 48 '64 Topps cards.  I was happy that I paid approximately 40 cents per card, which continues the path of cheapness that I've been promoting while picking up cards for this set.

The auction title describes the cards perfectly..."mid-low grade".  The lot contained mostly higher numbered cards from the 3rd series, and to get those on the cheap is great from where this guy sits.

Now, you're probably wondering why the title of this post is cards that look like cards.   Well, when I went through the lot, there were a lot of cards that had all 4 corners with rounding, much like a playing card.  These cards took me straight back to the days when I was dealing Texas Hold 'Em before it was en vogue.

Took a look at this scan to give you an idea...

The corners on all of these cards are as round as a NASCAR track.  Doesn't matter to me though.  If I'm going to worry about condition on 587 cards that are almost 50 years old, then I'm going to be 50 years older by the time I complete the set.  Let me tell you, at age 94, I hope to be able to stand, let alone appreciate a great set such as '64 Topps. 

I'm actually very happy with my progress on this set so far.  This 48 card lot had 5 dupes in it, however the lot brought me slightly over the 100 card mark.  I'm 103 cards in, or 17.5%.  I've enjoyed chasing these cards so far, because they've shown me a time where cards were a lot more simple, a time when the focus was more on the player rather than an action shot or a short printed pie in the face card. 

Not that the different types of photos in today's cards are all bad.  I've even mentioned many times on the blog that I've found many cards from today's sets that have great photos. 

Sometimes simple is better.  Even though I'm shying away from Heritage this year, the cards still are pretty damn good, because of their simplicity.

Available for trade..

As far as I know, there's only two different colors of borders available, right?  Gotta make those big box stores happy you know.

Thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment: