Thursday, August 25, 2011

RIP Mike Flanagan, 1951-2011

I was shocked and saddened to hear of the passing of Mike Flanagan today.  What really saddened me were the details surrounding his death, which I will not repeat here.  I will choose to remember Mike as the crafty lefthander that the Jays picked up towards the end of the '87 season.  I will forever remember him starting game 4 of the ALCS in '89 against the A's, and giving up the moon shot that Canseco hit into the 5th deck at the Skydome (which at the time had never been done).  I will remember him in his Cy Young year in 1979 (23-9 3.08 ERA), part of one of the best starting pitching staffs assembled in the 70's. 

God bless you Mike, may you find the peace in heaven that you could not find in your final days on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment