Saturday, August 20, 2011

A blast from the past..2006 Topps

Standard stuff from the flagship back in 2006.  660 card base set, loads of rookie and manager cards, along with some team photos (which I wish they would keep every year).  This rookie crop has some very talented players, such as Ian Kinsler, Dan Uggla, Matt Cain, Geovany Soto, Ryan Zimmerman, and the two players pictured below, Prince Fielder and Jonathan Papelbon.

Standard posed photos
























Now I had never noticed this until this evening, but check out the Rookie Card logos on both of these cards.  Prince's on the left, has the standard MLB RC logo, but Papelbon on the right, has the logo in silver outline, no coloring or filling in of the letters.   I wondered if this might be unique, but I found another Papelbon that I had and sure enough, it had the same silver outlined RC logo.  Printing error?  Anybody have one with a filled in RC logo?  If you do, let me know, and if possible send me a scan please.
Shouldn't the Fielder pic be the hot dog? (just sayin...)

I did like the card back from that set...the card numbers were a decent size, and had different colors which I liked.  Not sure why they repeated the key stats on the left hand side when all you had to do was look to the right to see them.  I liked the team color scheme on the backs as well.  I found it interesting as well that Papelbon was a "flourishing" starter in the minors (although if you look at his '05 stats, his ERA is less than 3 and his WHIP was less than 1.00 at AA and AAA!), but now he's been a successful closer for the Sox for several years.  I guess Prince didn't rate as highly in the description on the bottom, all it mentions is that he became the youngest Brewer to hit a walk off HR, it was against Pittsburgh (wasn't everyone hitting HR's against Pittsburgh pitching that year?)

This set has been added to my BB want list....still need quite a few cards, mostly in Series 1 (why is it that way with me every year?)  If you have any for trade, let me know via comment or email....

Thanks for looking, Robert...


1 comment:

  1. All of the Papelbon's have that same silver rookie logo. I don't know why it's like that. There's another player in the set that has the same thing -- but I can't recall who it is.

    I have a ton of 2006 Topps, I'm sure I can help you out.

    ReplyDelete